This text is interesting in my opinion because it touches on
a lot of issues. I think the themes that this book addresses are relatable and
relevant. A lot of bad stuff happen in this work, but the characters manage to
deal with these things in the best way they can. Rape, addiction, race, the
double standard between men and women, body image, the list goes on. These are
not light subjects, but Gabi faces them head on, thinking about them, trying to
understand them, and taking action that she thinks is appropriate and necessary.
Even if these actions don’t align with what we think is best, they are very
human, and illustrate that Gabi is doing the best she can. These themes are
deep, dark, and realistic, and I think the novel addresses them in a well
thought out manner.
Additionally, all characters, but most notably Gabi grow in
this novel. Gabi has to face a lot of inconvenient truths throughout the course
of the work, and these help her grow as an individual. On top of that, she also
experiences a lot of new things through her relationships with other. She grows
as she comes to better understand sexuality, what to expect from a decent
partner, and herself. I think the
character development of the novel is well executed.
I don’t have many complaints with this work mainly because
it addresses so many issues. There is not much that the work leaves out. That
said, I do think that this work would be harder for guys to read. The novel is
written in a diary format from the perspective a female character who spends a
large amount of time talking about issues focused primarily around women. These
are important issues that should be address and men should certainly be aware
and considerate of, however by presenting it in this format, I think it would
lose some male interest. I could be, and hope I am wrong about this because I
think the themes addressed by this book need to be heard, but I’m not sure this
format allows for this to be executed as well as it could be. This is only a
minor complaint however, and I think for the most part it can be easily overcome.
I think that this text would appeal to most students. There
is a lot of important stuff that I think could be very relatable to them. The
work touches on a lot of important subjects, and I think even if a student can
relate to one of them, it would pull them in. While I do think this work would
be slightly less popular with males, I also believe that there are many aspects
of the novel that transcend gender.
In conclusion, I think this is a well-crafted work that
touches on a lot of really important issues of teenage life. I also think that
it addresses those issues in an admirable and realistic fashion. With its wide
range and touchingly real characters, it does a good job of portraying teenage
life while also helping to address some of its most difficult challenges. I do
think the focus on solely female experiences in some instances may isolate part
of the viewership, but I do think that this should not be a major hindrance. A good novel all around, I’d give it an A-.
No comments:
Post a Comment